Cottey has three residence halls P.E.O, Reeves, and Robertson. P.E.O. Hall and Reeves Hall have 10 suites each, while Robertson Hall has 14. Suites typically have a mix of new and returning students from around the country and the world. Each hall has a live-in hall director and three resident assistants.
In each hall you'll also find a:
- a large hall parlor with reception area, sitting areas, cable TV and grand piano
- basement rec room with TV, digital cable and video and DVD players, as well as another piano
- basement laundry ($1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry per load)
- computer room with 8-11 PCs with scanners, printers (free printing), and CD burners
- quiet study room
- storage area called the Trunk Room where you're assigned a shared trunk bin
Each suite has beds for 10 to 14 women and includes:
- a shared living area
- a small kitchen area
- a common bathroom
- individual double and single student bedrooms
The suite living area includes group seating (either sectionals or sofas), upholstered side chairs, a study table with chairs, lamps, a large wall mirror, wall art, a large suite window with a window seat, and a reference shelf with a dictionary and other reference books. Personal items, such as posters, pictures, furniture, etc., are permitted in your bedroom.
The College also provides kitchen items including a refrigerator, microwave, hot plate, ladder, shelving unit, and ironing board. It's a good idea to check with your future suitemates as they may have already purchased other items that they're willing to share like irons, plates, glasses, silverware, cooking items, etc.
The shared bathroom includes a bathtub (except for Wallace Suite
in Robertson Hall), two showers, two toilets, large wall mirror,
wooden drying rack, and a number of sinks.
Public areas of each suite, including the bathrooms, are cleaned each weekday by a member of the Cottey housekeeping staff.
You will have the following for your own use:
- Single-size closet (hanging width varies between 35 and 49 inches); each roommate has her own closet
- Desk and desk chair
- Twin bed (standard twin size mattress)
- Mattress pad
- Window shade and curtain rod (window size varies-almost all double rooms have two windows)
As a member of a suite, you'll have some basic responsibilities:
- Keep the suite area free of personal belongings so that the housekeepers can clean your suite for you.
- Do your part to keep personal and suite dishes done in the kitchen area in the manner determined by the suite at the beginning of the year.
- Be respectful of others.
- Communicate openly and honestly with other suitemates about issues and concerns.