Opening Convocation Livestream

Watch the 139th Opening of the College ceremony live. Saturday, August 20 at 7 p.m.

Convocation

Learn More
Serenity Torkelson becomes the second esports athlete to sign with Cottey.

Comets Sign Second Esports Athlete

Date Posted: June 3, 2020 Author: Steve Reed

Cottey Comets Esports Coach Bovey Zhang announced the College had signed its second athlete to the new program, Serenity Mary Ellen Torkelson of Malvern, Iowa.

Torkelson has been playing video games for as long as she can remember. She has experience with the Halo series, Smash Brothers, Overwatch, Apex Legends, and other competitive and non-competitive games on many different kinds of gaming systems.

“I have been gaming since I’ve been an 8-bit sprite,” Torkelson said. “I look forward to leveling up with the Cottey College esports team! Video games have been a huge part of my life and joining the esports team at Cottey would be a dream come true!”

“I am super excited to have Serenity a part of our new esports program,” said Zhang. “Her love and passion of gaming is a good forefront of who we need on this program. I am excited to see what we have in store in the future.”

In addition to esports, Torkelson has been on her high school’s quarterly honor roll with a 3.6 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. She was voted senior class president and took three years of Spanish. Torkelson was active in theater and music and was a member of the cross country and dance teams. She has experience with digital art and video filming and editing, as well as other technical aspects that come with screen recording for video games.

The Comets esports team will begin competition in the 2020-21 academic year.

Steve Reed

About the author

Steve Reed