State Resources for P.E.O.s
Adopt-A-Suite and Adopt-A-Student Programs
The adopt-a-student/suite program is coordinated by the individual state/district/provincial Cottey committees. The Office of P.E.O. Relations and the Student Life Offices at Cottey do not have information regarding the assigning of students and suites. All questions regarding these programs should be addressed to the state Cottey chairmen or advisors. Please note: the College does not maintain records of which students/suites are sponsored more heavily than others.
Meet a current student who was recently adopted by a chapter in Texas.
Chapter Resources for P.E.O.s
How to Give to and Support Your Student
Sending Funds to Students
Monetary gifts of $50.00 or more to a student may impact her financial aid package. This does not apply to gift cards or Cottey Cash.
States may now set up a fund for “emergency needs.” Please call the office of Institutional Advancement, at 417-667-6333, ext. 2120 to find out more information on how your chapters can put money into a fund that will go towards special needs such as a trip to the dentist, special school supplies, or personal athletic equipment. Funds may be designated specifically for your students!
Please notify the Office of P.E.O. Relations if a student contacts you requesting money. The College will assess the student’s needs and will proceed accordingly.
Cottey’s student body is made up of students from over 40 states and 15 foreign countries, so many students are a long way from home. Hearing from P.E.O. s from their states can be a great way to help students keep connected to home and reduce homesickness. Most Cottey students are in their late teens and early twenties, so keep in mind young people’s tastes when compiling your care package. Here are some suggestions for keeping connected:
- Send birthday cards.
- Send care packages.
- Students really appreciate receiving the following items:
- snack food, such as single-serving microwavable macaroni and cheese, chips, breakfast bars, crackers, candy, gum, and cookies
- spiral notebooks, pens, scotch tape
- body lotions, hair products (shampoos, conditioners, gels)
- coffee, tea, and beverage mixes
- laundry detergent and softener
- laundry pods
- dryer sheets
- Students also appreciate bookstore gift certificates. In addition to books, the Cottey bookstore has a variety of merchandise including clothing, bags, cups, and much more! Order gift certificates from Cottey’s bookstore by calling, 417-667-8181, x 2154.
- Purchase a gift card to from one of the national chain restaurants that students have in Nevada. The following national chains are located in Nevada and accept gift certificates: Domino’s Pizza, Pizza Hut, McDonald’s, Burger King, Sonic and Walmart. You may purchase these gift cards at your home store and mail the certificate to the student. The closest Starbucks and Target locations are 60 miles south.
Here is a list of ideas for care packages!
Finals week CARE packages
Purchase finals week packages through the office of student life at 417-667-8181, x 2126 or email@example.com. The cost is $20. Packages include chips, nuts, cheese and crackers, gum, full-size candy bars, granola bars, two pieces of fruit, usually an apple and an orange, along with a variety of other snacks. Packages for fall 2020 will be distributed around November 12 and around April 29 for spring 2021. Proceeds from the sale of finals week packages support the Nancy Denman Student Life Scholarship, awarded annually to one or two Cottey students. Dr. Denman was the coordinator of counseling at Cottey, and alumna, and a P.E.O. She lost her fight with breast cancer in January 2005. Finals Week Care Packages must be ordered by Friday, October 30, 2020 for fall semester and Tuesday, April 20, 2021 for spring semester. Click here to order.
How to Order Cottey Cash for Students
Cottey Cash may be used in the Chellie Club, Raney Dining Room, for shuttle reservation or event tickets, and in the Bookstore. Cottey Cash “dollars” are gift certificates that carry no cash value. No credits will be given for unused Cottey Cash.
Credit card orders may be placed by completing the online order form. Click Here for the form.
Cakes for Cottey
Members of P.E.O. Chapter DW in Nevada, Missouri, are ready to help. We will bake a cake and deliver it to your student. For $20, you can choose either a frosted 9×13 retangular cake or an angel food cake to be delivered to your student’s residence hall on or near her birthday or other special occasion. To request a cake, contact Nora Quitno by mail, 131 Country Club Dr., Nevada, MO 64772, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or telephone 417-667-1625. Send your check, made payable to Chapter DW, to Nora Quitno. Click Here for more information.
State Cottey Committee Chairmen and Advisors
You will be able to find your state/district/provincial Cottey Chairmen and Advisor information on your state/district/provincial website.
Suggested P.E.O. Scholarship Timeline
Thank you for all you do to help make a Cottey education affordable for our students. We recognize that each S/P/D has their own way of deciding and distributing scholarship funds and are very grateful for your efforts. Listed below are a few suggestions to help align your award schedule with the timeframe in which students receive financial aid information from the colleges they are considering. We hope this information will be helpful to you as you perform your volunteer duties.
If you are responsible for awarding P.E.O. scholarships to Cottey students, this information is for you even if you don’t have the title of Scholarship Chairman. If you have questions, please contact the Cottey financial aid office at 417-667-8181 ext. 2190 or by email at email@example.com.
- November to January – distribute scholarship applications for following academic year.
- February – review submitted applications and make award decisions.
- March 1 (or as soon as possible) – email the Cottey financial aid office the scholarship award winners. Please include student names and scholarship amounts. It may be helpful to include a spreadsheet if scholarships are coming from multiple funds/sources.
- April to August – email the Cottey financial aid office if there are any changes to the original scholarship awards. Complete all of the necessary steps to request funds, especially funds held at P.E.O. Foundation. Case history forms must be submitted electronically to the Foundation. Questions? Call the Foundation at 515-255-3153.
Authorizing Disbursement of Scholarship Funds:
- Late August for fall semester AND early January for spring semester – authorize disbursement of scholarship funds to Cottey.
- For funds held by State Chapter – contact the treasurer/appropriate officer in your state to have funds disbursed to Cottey. To verify enrollment of students, contact the financial aid office. Checks should be made payable to Cottey College and sent to the financial aid office with a listing of student names and amounts so the funds can be applied correctly.
- For funds held at P.E.O. Foundation – the Foundation will verify enrollment of the students directly with Cottey prior to disbursement.