Work on Campus

Student Employment

Federal Work Study (FWS) and Campus Employment

FWS is a need-based award for up to $2,600 per year for part-time employment in on-campus facilities, such as the library, science labs, computer labs, the dining room, and residence hall reception desks. With the exception that campus employment may be need-based or not, it is the same as FWS. RAs or Resident Assistants are paid a monthly stipend totaling $4,000 for the year.

Employment during the academic year and over the summer can provide financial resources to help students meet college costs. Research shows that students who work a modest number of hours per week during the academic year (10-15 hours) are more likely to graduate and have a higher grade point average.

FWS and campus employment programs offer students the opportunity to work on campus. It is offered in the financial aid package to new students with high financial need as funding allows. Students may earn up to the amount listed on the aid offer. Actual earnings will depend on the number of hours the student works. Students are paid at least minimum wage, which is currently $8.60 per hour.

FWS and campus employment awards will NOT be deducted from the student’s bill because students will be paid directly (twice per month) and can use earnings for any indirect educational costs (books, personal, or transportation expenses). The preferred method of payment on campus is direct deposit. Students can register for this during Orientation or at any time in the Business Office.

If FWS or campus employment is included in a financial aid package, an employment application must be completed. Application information is used to make job assignments for new students who will be notified of positions in late summer. All first-year students who will be working on campus will complete employment paperwork during a session at Orientation. Employment paperwork includes the Form I-9, a Missouri State W-4, and a Federal W-4. As part of completing the I-9 form, we are required to examine certain documents, which could include the student’s driver’s license, Cottey ID, social security card, U.S. Passport, birth certificate, etc.

Request Info

Degrees & Programs