Every writer needs a reader, and the Writing Center at Cottey College offers just that. Writers can visit face-to-face with trained peer tutors for a focused conversation on any writing project, including (but not limited to):
- Written assignments for ANY class
- Job documents, such as resumes and cover letters
- Scholarship and study abroad application essays
- Statements of purpose for applying to graduate school
- Personal letters, formal letters, and emails
The Writing Center offers personalized support and feedback on your writing with the ultimate goal of building your confidence and making you a better writer.
For online writing resources, scroll to the bottom of the page.
Check out these videos about the Writing Center from a former tutor and tutee!
What We Do
The Cottey College Writing Center offers an opportunity for students and campus community members to learn more about writing through face-to-face sessions. During a face-to-face session, writers meet with trained peer tutors to talk about their writing. The essence of a Writing Center session is talk, but with a specific purpose – to help writers express their ideas as clearly and accurately while building confidence and skills for future writing tasks. Writers can expect to engage in deep conversation about ideas, research, writing practices, and, yes, sometimes even grammar.
What We Don’t Do
The most common misconception of a writing center is that we’re an editing service. We do not edit students’ papers.
Rather, the Writing Center tutors strive to help you learn editing strategies to give you skills for a lifetime, not just for this one assignment. You can expect to engage with your tutor, answer questions, and learn new things during your session.
At the Writing Center, tutors work with writers on any assignment, from any course, at any stage in the writing process. The essence of a writing center session is talk: Tutors meet with writers to talk about their ideas, assignments, revisions, and writing.
Our mission reflects that of the College. We aim to do the following:
- Enrich writers’ knowledge about academic writing from a variety of disciplines,
- Assist writers in thinking critically about their assignments, writing, and writing process,
- Support writers in their endeavors to communicate effectively by offering reader-response feedback and one-on-one sessions on all writing assignments from all disciplines,
- Guide writers in their creation of solutions to problems encountered in writing and writing assignments,
- Collaboratively work with writers, from all backgrounds and cultures as well as facilitating understanding of culture contexts and respect for differences when working with writers
- Act as friendly, peer readers, and aid writers in becoming reflective, ethical writers through proper academic writing and citation.