Opening Convocation Livestream

Watch the 139th Opening of the College ceremony live. Saturday, August 20 at 7 p.m.


Learn More

Study Abroad

Study Abroad


In order to be eligible to study abroad program, students must meet the following requirements:

  • Have completed at least one semester at Cottey College;
  • Be in good academic and disciplinary standing; and,
  • Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5 (including the semester immediately preceding the study abroad program).

Additionally, Cottey has the following rules in place for study abroad experiences:

  • Any student, as long as they meet the requirements listed above, may participate in a summer study abroad program;
  • Students interested in studying abroad for a semester or longer, while also meeting the requirements listed above, must be at the junior-level or above at the time of their study abroad program*

International Business/International Relations Majors

  • Students in the International Business and International Relations programs are required to take their study abroad during a specific semester. Students must meet with their academic advisor to determine which semester their required study abroad experience must be taken. It must typically take place in the spring semester of the student’s junior (third) year.

* While students at the senior-level are eligible to study abroad, studying abroad during this year is not encouraged. Any student considering study abroad in their senior year needs to consider that credits earned during a study abroad program may not transfer back to Cottey prior to graduation, therefore delaying the student’s graduation. Additionally, students need to be aware of any requirements they need to meet and classes they need to take in order to complete their degree. Students might not be able to meet some degree requirements while abroad.


The first step in studying abroad is to meet with International Education Coordinator to discuss study abroad plans and options.

Students must meet all eligibility requirements and will submit the Study Abroad Application to the International Education Coordinator.

Once approval to study abroad is received, students must complete the Study Abroad Program Approval and Permission to Transfer Credit forms after meeting with their academic advisor to discuss how a study abroad program will fit into their academic plan.

After these forms are completed and turn submitted to the International Education Coordinator, students may apply directly to their chosen study abroad program and complete the program’s specific admission requirements.

All students will need to attend a study abroad pre-departure session at the end of the semester immediately preceding their study abroad experience.

While abroad, students are required to be enrolled in a minimum of what Cottey College considers to be full-time enrollment (12 credit hours). Some study abroad programs consider full-time enrollment to be higher. If this is the case for a student’s specific program, then the student will be required to be enrolled in the higher number of credit hours. Some study abroad programs consider full-time enrollment to be lower. If this is the case for a student’s specific study abroad program, the student will still be required to meet Cottey College’s full-time enrollment standard of 12 credit hours. Once students have arrived at their host university, they will be required to complete the Study Abroad Enrollment Verification Form, obtain the appropriate signatures, scan, and submit the form to the International Education Coordinator by email.

It is important to note that grades and credit hours will only transfer back to Cottey if the student receives a grade of “C” or above.


Spring: September 15

Fall: February 15


Cottey College has agreements with the following organizations and  institutions:

University Studies Abroad Consortium:
University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) is a study abroad provider with programs and internships in 27 countries.

International Studies Abroad:
International Studies Abroad (ISA) is a study abroad provider with programs and internships in 30+ countries.

CAPA The Global Education Network:
CAPA is a study abroad provider with programs and internships in 8 countries.

York St. John University:
York St. John University (YSJ) is located in York, England.  Through our agreement with YSJ, Cottey students are able to study abroad at YSJ for a semester and up to a year.

The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong:
The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong (HSUHK) is located in Hong Kong.  Cottey students are able to study abroad at HSUHK for a semester.




The Gilman Scholarship Program is sponsored by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State and is open to U.S. students who are receiving Federal Pell Grants. It offers awards to U.S. undergraduates who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints.

Click here to apply and/or learn more.


Boren Scholarships provide up to $20,000 to U.S. undergraduate students to study abroad in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests and underrepresented in study abroad, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Boren Scholars represent a variety of academic backgrounds, but all are interested in studying less commonly taught languages, including but not limited to Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Swahili.

Click here for more information.


The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program, sponsored by U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, is a fully-funded overseas language and cultural immersion program for American undergraduate and graduate students. The CLS Program is part of a U.S. government effort to expand dramatically the number of Americans studying and mastering critical foreign languages. Students of diverse disciplines and majors are encouraged to apply. Participants are expected to continue their language study beyond the scholarship period, and later apply their critical language skills in their future professional careers.

Click here for more information.


Fund for Education Abroad awards are intended to support students planning to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs. The financial support for these scholarships is provided by generous donors, who are committed to increasing study abroad opportunities for dedicated American students.

Click here for more information.


Eligible for U.S. Citizens enrolled in a North American college who are majoring in Photography, Film, Art, Travel and Tourism or Foreign Language.

Click here for more information.


The Bridging Project offers scholarships to American undergraduate students participating in study-abroad programs in Japan. Funding from private foundations and major U.S. corporations, through donations to the nonprofit US-Japan Bridging Foundation, makes it possible to award about 100 scholarships each year to assist students with the travel and living expenses they will incur while studying abroad in Japan for a semester or an academic year.

Click here for more information.



The scholarship is open to all undergraduates studying abroad for a minimum of one semester at a BUTEX-affiliated institution in the UK.

Click here for more information.


Scholarship for travel and study abroad, based on merit, personal qualities and/or financial need.

Click here for more information.


Scholarship for tuition, room and board, books, or travel for students traveling abroad.

Click here for more information.


Scholarships funding study, senior thesis research and/or internships in Germany with a goal of supporting study abroad in Germany and at German universities.

Click here for more information.


The College Board Website at
Scholarships for Hispanic students at
Database of 2.4 million scholarships at
Scholarships by geography, heritage, extracurricular activities, etc. at
Search over $1 billion in free scholarships at
Get matched to scholarships and explore thousands of colleges at